Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Need for Mentors

For my job at H&R Block, you are constantly learning. The world of taxes is very big and complex. It helps when you have a mentor or guide to help you to learn and grow. I have been blessed to have an experienced tax professional watching over me and showing me how to best prepare taxes. I didn't seek her as a mentor, but she has been so kind to help me.

What I have learned is that wherever we are, we need mentors. They have so much to teach us and to show us. We can learn from mistakes their mistakes, and hopefully not make them. My goal is to look for mentors in my other areas of life, as a student and disciple of Christ. I have learned so much and grown as a tax professional, and I know by finding a mentor I will  be able to grow as a student and follower of Christ.

4 comments:

  1. That is a very interesting post about mentors. I've never really thought about the need for mentors. Thanks for it, it's a good reminder to me to be a mentor for others when I can and to seek out mentors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have had numerous mentors in my life, and they have all impacted my life in various ways. That is cool that you didn't actively seek her out, but that she came to you and offered to help. I'm sure one day you can become a mentor for a new employee who will be in the same situation you are in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This got me thinking about those people that have helped me to get to where I am today. It also got me thinking about how I need to create new mentors by being open and willing to learn from others. Keep up the good work at H&R Block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the most valuable mentors are often the ones that you don't go looking for. These are the people that are looking to help others and want to share their wisdom with someone else even if they don't always think to ask for it. My favorite mentors have always been the ones that surprised me by helping me when I didn't know that I needed their help.

    ReplyDelete