Friday, February 26, 2016

A Key to Productivity

Last week I was watching some Ted Talks when I saw a very interesting one. It was a man talking about a transformation that occurred in his life, and all it took was to wake up early. He made the goal to wake up at 4:30 am for 21 days straight. He chose 4:30 am because that is what most successful CEO's commented as their wake-up time. He chose 21 days because science shows that it takes 21 days to make a habit. By following through with his goal, he noticed that he was more productive and slept better at night. After watching this Ted Talk, I too had the desire to make a change. I have made the goal to wake up at 5 am for 21 days straight. I started on Monday February 22, and let me tell you, it is difficult. I was able to wake up at 5 am for 3 of the 5 days; however, the days I was successful, I noticed a great increase in my productivity. I was able to accomplish more school work, house work, and work at my job. I also noticed that I was able to fall asleep faster than normal. So, now, I have to keep up the goal. I need to continue to do this for 21 days straight to create the new habit. I am excited to see the results from this little experiment of mine.

2 comments:

  1. I think that's a fantastic goal and I really like the reasoning behind it. It makes me think of the saying "dress for the job you want, not the job you have." If you wake up at the time a successful professional does, that will help you become a successful professional. If you wake up according to a college student schedule, that doesn't help you progress beyond where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed the same sort of productivity when I wake up earlier. Luckily for me I don't have a choice to sleep in because of soccer. However, I have found that when I am up and at it early in the morning, I am much more productive. Now the real issue for me is not taking a nap every day around 3 or 4. If I can get over that little bump then things will be smooth sailing. Maybe I will try implementing this 21 day plan of not napping and see how it goes. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete