Friday, March 4, 2016

Preparing for a Marathon

On Wednesday, I received, as a gift, a book in the mail. The name of the book was "The Hanson's Marathon Method." This book has information about how to properly train for a marathon. I learned that I had been training incorrectly. The book focuses on pace being the key to everything. Typically when you think of training/practicing for anything, you want to work as hard as you can in each practice session. You try and give 100% everyday. What I have learned from this book is that this is the incorrect way to train. In fact, it is one of the worst things you can do because you do not allow your body its proper rest.

As I mentioned before, pace is the key. The book talks about using pace to get the most out of your workouts. You also need to alternate between easy days and hard days, allowing your body to rest.

Now why am I talking so much about running. One reason I love running so much is that it is so applicable to life. I believe this structure of practice, focusing on pace, and realizing that you can't give 100% everyday applies to training in any field of life. We need to focus on our pace in whatever field we are working. If we practice little by little, and focus on the big picture, we will find greater success in our endeavors.

I am now focusing on how I can pace better in other areas of my life. By doing so, I am feeling less stress and the retention is much greater.

4 comments:

  1. Hm, I never really thought about that. I always kind of felt bad that I am unable to give 100% all the time in everything I'm doing in life. Thanks for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go man. I like physical activities as well (Running, lifting weights, hiking) and I knew a little bit about resting. It is vital for our bodies to have the chance to recover from a hard workout. However, I never thought of alternating hard and easy days. Constancy is quite important in life. It does not matter if you can ron 100 miles one year if the next one you cannot run 5. It is better to keep a nice average in our life. It is important to keep that constant upward slope in every aspect in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked how you had two tiny paragraphs to accompany the two larger ones. It is crazy how something that simple can make it so much easier/less intimidating to read. Your content was also great - I am reminded of a talk by President Uchtdorf where he talks about pilots naturally want to speed up when they get into turbulence, when in fact the correct thing to do is slow down. It is always healthy to slow things down and take everything at a good pace.

    ReplyDelete