Saturday, April 2, 2016

Councils, Even Family Councils

All over the globe on the first weekend of April, there are families watching the General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day. This is a time where many members of the church gather to listen to the global leaders of the church as they begin to speak and teach on several topics. For this week, I would really like to focus on the talk given by the Apostle Elder M. Russell Ballard. He gave an amazing talk on councils and how they can be utilized in the family. I found it to be very eye-opening. I realized that a successful family needs to council together and that parents need to council together in order to plan and guide the family to success. I come a from a family that would do this often, but because it was so normal, I never realized how essential it is to having a successful family.

I may have a while before starting my own family, but I should apply this teaching exactly how Elder Ballard said. He told young single adults to meet often with roommates to plan the week, and create rules for the apartment. By meeting together often, we can verify that everyone is on the same page and address the needs or concerns of each person. This will help to create unity and respect in the apartment.

I plan to put this in action by talking with my roommates often, and working to create a better relationship with each roommate. I am lucky and have amazing roommates, but we can always achieve to be better, and I will do exactly that.

4 comments:

  1. I think that we as young single adults have great opportunities to prepare to have a family with our relationships with our roommates. This was interesting to think about and I hope that I can create a better environment in our apartment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a worthwhile goal to achieve. Along with setting rules and planning out weeks, Elder Ballard also mentioned that roommates should try and read scriptures and pray together also, as that would further strengthen the unity between all of you. If that is possible to implement in your apartment also, I am sure that would be helpful for you and your roommates. I will have to try this in my household as well. Hope you have success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked that talk as well. One of the concepts he mentioned as well were informal one-on-one counsels, such as a parent and child talking while on a long drive. In my family I believe that these were some of the most important counsels and I think that in roommate relationships it is the same way. Sometimes the informal meetings are the ones where real feelings are shared and real decisions are made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great insight from a great talk! My parents were in town and the moment the conference was over we had a nice long family council and it was great. We really connected with each other and were able to feel the spirit and reflect in the counsel we had hear this weekend. It really does work! I think it is essential to strong healthy relationships.

    ReplyDelete